Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  12:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Censorship

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Caio Rossi wrote:

> offender, and that's it. Banning people from the list doesn't make any
> sense. My provider offers me 5 e-mail accounts for free. www.bol.com.br,
> www.zipmail.com.br , www.hotmail.com , www.hotmail.com.br offer us endless
> e-mail accounts. There may be people arguing with themselves on the list,
> under different e-mails, just to call attention to their own topics!! No one
> can regulate that, so any kind of 'quarantine' for someone who has decided
> to be offensive is completely useless.

I wasn't going to be the one to mention this. In fact, I remember one
occasion on this list when one member seemlingly subscribed and
unsubscribed in one day merely to give a glowing pat-on-the-back to
himself under a pseudonym. Marko pointed this out in a very polite way
given the circumstances.

I also wanted to point out that if the suggestion to ban sarcasm was
serious, then I am doubly opposed to moderation. First we ban words we
don't like, then we ban modes of expression we don't like. What next?
Structure of Singing book burnings? (that was sarcasm) Or we expel people
who get under our skin too easily? I like people to make my thoughts
uneasy: it either confirms my belief or enlightens it.

Mark Montgomery

emusic.com