Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen <kjensen@c...>
Karen <kjensen@c...>
Date:  Tue Nov 28, 2000  10:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Censorship

I received a private email regarding my choice of the word 'slander',
pointing out that vitrioIic language isn't against the law. I certainly
don't mind being corrected. On the topic of slander, perhaps I chose the
wrong word. I wanted to introduce the idea that freedom of speech and
regulated human behaviour can co-exist. we can have a moderated list
without censorship, but there need to be rules. Email lists are so public,
that negative characterization of another person could be some form of
'defamation of character', and is not to be entered into lightly.
Karen Jensen

emusic.com