Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Robin L. Frye" <R.L.Frye@w...>
"Robin L. Frye" <R.L.Frye@w...>
Date:  Mon Nov 27, 2000  12:18 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] New poll for vocalist-temporary

Colin wrote:

>Do we have lots of mezzos, or do we have lots of sopranos without tops ?
;-)

>Just playing devil's advocate here, I realise that when I used to describe
>myself as a baritone it was because I was a tenor without a top.

Good question, Colin. There are certainly singers out there calling
themselves mezzos who would be more accurately classified as sopranos. Some
of them even do have the high notes, but would prefer to be part of a
considerably smaller fach where they might be more likely to be noticed (a
certain Cecilia comes to mind).

Taking into account tessitura and vocal color in addition to range, I can
assure you that this mezzo is most definitely a mezzo. No one has ever
suggested that I might be a soprano, and a few people along the way have
called me a contralto. I didn't think I had the heft needed in the lower
part of my voice (without artificially darkening and weighing down the
voice) to really pull that off. So a plain vanilla mezzo I remain - a full
lyric - with vocal weight, size and range pretty much smack in the middle.
It actually suits me just fine; if I'm careful, I can choose repertoire from
a fairly wide fach spectrum.

Ever the curious teacher, I'd like to know what you did to find your high
notes?

Robin Lynne Frye
Mezzo-Soprano
Voice and Piano Teacher