Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Sun Nov 26, 2000  10:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "voi lo sapete"- too dramatic?

In a message dated 11/25/00 6:20:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, sopran@a...
writes:

<< Nobody can say for certain that you will be a dramatic soprano--you'll
just have to wait and find out. You could end up a mezzo with an upper
extension, for example. >>

Which is exactly what happened to me. When I was in graduate school, my
voice teacher was determined that I was a budding dramatic soprano. I never,
ever felt at home in the literature and never felt that it suited my voice -
I still feel that way. But because I have good, big, solid high notes, she
heard dramatic in my voice. Luckily, she took a moderate approach to my
voice and had me working in the heavier mezzo repertoire and the lighter
dramatic rep. While I will now, at the age of 45, occasionally venture out
into the dramatic world, I have found my home in the mezzo realm. And here
I'll stay, happy as I can be to be singing music that plays to my strengths
instead of beating my head against a wall in frustration.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com