Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Sun Nov 26, 2000  5:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] New poll for vocalist-temporary

Mine is a full lyric or lirico-spinto voice.

My coach, who works with many singers at the Met, characterizes me as "the
quintessential big German lyric." He says that my voice is very similar to
that of Elisabeth Grummer--and my teacher (one of the most respected in NY
City and a full lyric herself, sang with the Met National Company) agrees
with his assessment.

My middle voice has blossomed a great deal recently, but I rather doubt that
I am a true spinto--my temperament leans more toward the big lyric roles--and
my voice likes a lot of "swoop." I'm less that perfectly comfortable in
repertoire that bangs away at one part of my voice, instead of letting it
have its full range.

My roles include Agathe in der Freischutz, Elsa in Lohengrin, Desdemona in
Otello (Verdi's), the Trovatore Leonora, Contessa, Fiordiligi, Susannah
(Floyd), Violetta, Mimi, Micaela, Marguerite, Donna Elvira, Pamina, Rosalinda
and the like. I'm taking a look at Donna Anna, and the Marschallin has been
suggested, as has Fanciulla. (I'm not so sure about that one!)

For whatever reason, Verdi seems to suit me, as does the lighter Wagner--the
latter was a tremendous surprise to me, as I always thought that I'd never
venture near Wagner. Never sang a note of it until I was past the big 4-0!

Judy

emusic.com