Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Sun Nov 26, 2000  3:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "voi lo sapete"- too dramatic?

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 sopran@a... wrote:

> Besides, since when is Zerlina strictly a soubrette? I think it's much more
> interesting to have a lyric cast in the role, as long as the Donna Anna and
> Elvira are both larger voices. Zerlina is VERY sexual, and a lyric voice can
> bring out more of the womanly (as opposed to strictly girlish) aspects of the
> character, and is less likely to get overpowered in the ensembles.

Actually, the best Zerlinas I've heard have always been lyric mezzos. The
additional "sultry" quality in the voice (i.e., it's darker colour)
lends an added seductive quality to her two arias. I've always thought
Zerlina was the perfect early "stepping stone" role on the way NOT to Mimi
but to Carmen.

Karen Mercedes
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
Es en balde, majo mio, que sigas hablando
porque hay cosas que contesto yo
siempre cantando:
Tra la la...
Por mas que preguntes tanto: