Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Sat Nov 25, 2000  11:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "voi lo sapete"- too dramatic?

In a message dated 11/25/00 9:21:03 PM, verdirules@h... writes:

<< Of course I understand that technique is most important, but surely there
has to be a middle ground when it comes to operatic arias-- where I can
forget the "-inas" and also wait on the meaty, ka-pow arias until I know I
am secure. I would rather do art songs then study a soubrette role that I
will never, ever use. As a few other people have mentioned, trying to make
the voice smaller is just as damaging! >>

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that you try to make your voice
smaller--I think they are recommending that you sing rep that is appropriate
for the voice you have now, with the voice that you have now, not what you
may (or may not!) become. Nobody can say for certain that you will be a
dramatic soprano--you'll just have to wait and find out. You could end up a
mezzo with an upper extension, for example.

For now, you probably should not be singing rep from roles that you would not
be able to sing through completely. That probably means lyric roles--many of
which are surprisingly demanding. A single aria does not give any idea of the
vocal, emotional and energetic and resources you'll need to sing an entire
role successfully.

Besides, since when is Zerlina strictly a soubrette? I think it's much more
interesting to have a lyric cast in the role, as long as the Donna Anna and
Elvira are both larger voices. Zerlina is VERY sexual, and a lyric voice can
bring out more of the womanly (as opposed to strictly girlish) aspects of the
character, and is less likely to get overpowered in the ensembles.

You think because you have a biggish voice you'll never, ever sing the
lighter arias? Maybe you should think again. I have a CD of the great Welsh
dramatic soprano Margaret Price singing Mozart arias. She made her debut as
Cherubino!

Judy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6801 Re: "voi lo sapete"- too dramatic? Karen Mercedes   Sun  11/26/2000   3 KB

emusic.com