Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Molly McLinden" <verdirules@h...>
"Molly McLinden" <verdirules@h...>
Date:  Sat Nov 25, 2000  9:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "voi lo sapete"- too dramatic?

>Insistence on singing repertoire that fulfils immature vocal and emotional
>needs is nothing more than the masturbation of an operatic poseur. If
>you do not have the stamina to wait, how do you ever expect to have the
>stamina to face the odds in attempting to pursue a professional career in
>opera?

Excellent point.

I am glad that you were concerned enough to reply to my question concerning
this aria.

I have to clarify on behalf of my teacher:
Luckily, I DO have an excellent teacher, after working with one who was less
than adequate. SHE did not suggest I take on "voi lo sapete" ...it was
something that I (stupidly? naively?) thought I could take on-- yes, based
on what I know I will have *later on* (and not what I am working with now).
Nor did she say "YOU ARE a dramatic soprano". She hears that I am VERY
likely to be, there is no question. She is not the only one that hears this.
(It is because of the obviously different vocal qualities I posesses that I
am seldom cast in any opera our school puts on). She stresses all the time
how crucial it is that I sing lyrically, and pull instead of push. She
definitely knows her stuff, and I trust her completely.

Perhaps another reason why I wanted to do this aria was because I don't see
singing "vedrai carino" and other such arias as beneficial when I will never
audition with them , or sing these roles.
Of course I understand that technique is most important, but surely there
has to be a middle ground when it comes to operatic arias-- where I can
forget the "-inas" and also wait on the meaty, ka-pow arias until I know I
am secure. I would rather do art songs then study a soubrette role that I
will never, ever use. As a few other people have mentioned, trying to make
the voice smaller is just as damaging!

I am also fully aware that because I see other young singers sing it, it
does not make it OK for the rest of us to do it as well.
My teacher saw an undergrad "bark" her way through "pace, pace" at NATS and
was never more frightened for a student in her life.

So, points well taken...and no, I am not offended. I just needed to know.I
expected to get quite a response from all of you on this matter, and once
again, you all came through. Thanks!

Molly

_____

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6800 What a "budding dramatic" SHOULD sing (was: "voi Karen Mercedes   Sun  11/26/2000   5 KB

emusic.com