Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Sat Nov 25, 2000  3:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "voi lo sapete"- too dramatic?

In a message dated 11/25/00 2:39:18 PM, emzu@g... writes:

<< I do not want to rain on your parade but 99.99% of young hopefuls never
make
it - regardless of how talented they think they are at 20! Out of the rest
that somehow reaches the professional threshold - maybe 0.5% ends up with a
dramatic voice. So, what makes you so sure that YOU are the one? >>

Dear Eva,

You are correct, of course! However, I have found that the categorization of
a voice may vary somewhat depending on location.

Personally, I'm a big lyric, maybe a borderline spinto in terms of size, but
in temperament much more of a lyric.

In New York City, where I study, I am categorized as a big lyric. In
Connecticut, where I live, people who hear me think that I am a dramatic
soprano. And compared to the size of the sound many other singers here make,
especially in middle voice and chest (often non-existent out here), it seems
like a legitimate comparison. But it doesn't make it so...

Judy

emusic.com