Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Sat Nov 25, 2000  3:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "voi lo sapete"- too dramatic?

In a message dated 11/25/00 8:36:53 AM, april_salerno@y... writes:

<< I have worked on Voi lo sapete, and
just as with any piece, my teacher encourages me to
sing with my voice, not to push, and to just think
like a lyric. I have not found this piece to be any
more dangerous than the typical lyric soprano/mezzo
arias or art songs that are fed to us blossoming
dramatics. >>

April,

I would advise strongly against regularly singing an aria that you think may
one day be your "bread and butter" until your instrument and technique are
much more fully developed.

It may not harm you vocally, especially if you keep it lyrical. However,
there are other factors to take into consideration.

If you sing it often now, in the studio or even in the shower, you are
programming an "immature" performance into your voice, mind and body--and it
is very likely that at some time in the future you will have to spend a
considerable amount of time and effort unlearning what you are doing now.

Judy

emusic.com