Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Fri Nov 24, 2000  12:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] quit smoking: slimy throat

Congratulations on quitting. Make sure you NEVER even consider the
possibility of starting. No matter what. Not even a puff. Consider
cigarettes out of your life forever.

When you smoke you kill of the specialized cells in your respiratory tract
that make mucus. The ones that remain make poor mucus. Also you kill the
microscopic hairs called cilia that serve to move the mucus up the
respiratory tract so you can swallow it. Normally you don't notice this
much if you don't have allergies or some other respiratory problem.

After you quit smoking, the mucus glands return and begin to secrete again
with a vengance. The cilia regrow and suddenly you are inundated with
mucus.

To help, you must pay close attention to hydration, even more than the
nonsmoking singer. This keeps the mucus manageable. Guaifenesin (Humibid,
and others) helps keep moisture in the mucus. Inhaled steam helps also.
Keep after it often and gradually the amount of mucus will become normal.

JUST DON'T SMOKE AGAIN.

Sorry for shouting.

John

John J. Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine

> 3 weeks ago, I quit smoking after over 10 years of
> nicotine-addiction.
> I feel great, the coughing had stopped and I can breathe freely
> again.
> But: whenever I start singing, my throat gets all slimy (sorry, but
> it's the only word I can think of). The only thing that gets rid of
> the slime is clearing my throat,

emusic.com