Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Thu Nov 23, 2000  8:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] re: why 30?

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:01:58 -0500 Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
writes:
> K wrote:
>
> You want performance opportunities? Get together with a group of
> friends
> and put on a show. It can be done for less money than you might
> think.
> Hook up with students and other near-professionals like yourself,
> choose a
> score with not too many characters and no chorus, pool your money to
> hire a
> pianist and DO IT. Or put on a recital. There is no growth
> experience
> like it!

A few years ago, my husband & myself were asked by a friend to get a
couple of other musicians together & do a program of women composers'
music for a local AAUW chapter. It went well & we were invited back the
following year. We decided to offer the program to local libraries & we
have a program lined up for December 21st & have also been invited by
another AAUW chapter to do the program next spring.

We have found a wide variety of music to perform & the burden of the
program doesn't rest only on one singer & a pianists. We are even doing a
premiere of a piece in December that a composition student has written
for us (a fellow student of one of our little entourage). In other words,
if you can offer a specialty type of program, there is usually lots of
interest.

Pat

PS Sorry, I'm a little behind on my e-mail! Happy Thanksgiving to all
celebrating in the US!
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!