Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Wed Nov 22, 2000  9:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Surgery for Sinusitis

A tonsil so large it pushes against the uvula is abnormal.  Whether to do anything about it is determined by whether or not it is causing a problem.  If speech, swallowing, breathing are a problem, one might consider tonsillectomy.  Recurrent bacterial infections would be a reason.  If she is a child, it will likely shrink over several years; an adult might not have it get any smaller.

If the tonsil is enlarged, it is not a bad idea for a doctor to see it, but there may not be any treatment indicated.

John

John J. Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine