Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Wed Nov 22, 2000  5:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] hello from a new member

In a message dated 11/22/00 10:47:10 AM, annabelleq@y... writes:

<< Since I am happy with my teacher and my progress, I wonder if I should go
to conservatory at all. I am thinking of taking that money and putting it
into private
lessons and classes instead.>>

A really, really, really good teacher is hard to find. I personally would be
extremely reluctant to abandon a highly productive working relationship with
a teacher who knows you and your voice, and what you both need.

My teacher (whose name I will provide privately if you are interested) is
teaching quite a few promising young singers who are enrolled in
conservatories for a degree, but not as voice majors. Conservatories can be
factories, where you are just a cog in a big machine. She saw more than a few
young singers enter conservatories in good shape, only to be damaged by the
machine. Obviously this doesn't happen to all conservatory students, but it
happens.

Conservatories have their own objectives, which may not fit well with yours.
If you are considering one, take great care to determine whether your goals
will be well served.

<<Is this a stupid idea? What can a school like Juilliard or Eastman give me
that I couldn't get just studying by myself?>>

A piece of paper that has a degree. A certain amount of prestige, maybe some
contacts.
For A LOT of money (and time).

<<People say performing experience. There are many small companies to get
performing
experience with here in California. >>

You can also make your own experiences. Get a church job. Join music clubs.
Sing at ball parks or supermarket openings, civic events or anywhere they'll
let you. Sing at retirement homes and hospitals. If you're good, the word
will get around, and other opportunities will come your way.

<<So I'm in a dilemma. My teacher leaves it up to me. Advice? >>

Think long and hard about what you really, really, really want. Is it a
degree, or a career? The first in no way guarantees the second, although it
can help. An advanced degree is more helpful, but I see plenty of working
singers without one. In my experience, conductors and agents only care
whether you can deliver the goods vocally.

Judy

emusic.com