Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Wed Nov 22, 2000  6:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vibrato Questions

At 10:21 AM 11/21/00 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 11/21/00 9:06:12 AM Central Standard Time,
>michael.chesebro@worldnet.att.net writes:
>

><< Pervasive vibrato is generally a symptom of an unsupported voice. If you
>are not satisfied with what your teacher is telling you, you ought to look
>around. You will need the guidance of a vocal expert to fix that problem.
> >>

>Please define support as it is applied here. Thank you.
>

>Randy Buescher

Actually, that is a most reasonable request and one that is very hard to satisfy. That is why I hesitate to use words to describe a vocal posture that is the sum of many attributes. It is better for the student to get hands-on demonstration and feedback.

My check list:
1. Relative implosivity of phonation (i.e., not pushing air).
2. Absence of the intrusion of swallowing musculature into the phonation process (e.g., biting, pharyngeal squeezing).
3. Relative stability of the larynx.

Looking at these things I am aware that they may be taken in a dozen different ways around the world by people who bring their own frame of reference to what they have read. Just another reason we need voice teachers.
Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2212

emusic.com