Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Tue Nov 21, 2000  1:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Russian Lit

Eric, there is so much available in the Russian repertoire that I would
advise you to check out some recordings, particularly those by mezzo Olga
Borodina (1 cd of Tchaikovsky songs and one of repertoire by the Mighty
Handful - Balakirev, Borodin, Cui, Mussogsky, and Rimsky-Korsakov) and
baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky (a cd devoted to songs of Tchaikovsky and
Rachmaninov, one of songs from the Mighty Handful, and one which includeds
Rachmaninov and Sviridov.) These are all published by Philips, and
Hvorostovky also has a release scheduled for this year of more Sviridov
songs. On Conifer, baritone Sergei Leiferkus has recordings of Borodin,
Dargomizhsky, Glinka, Mussorgsky, and Tchaikovsky, as well as a cd of
Rachmaninov songs on Chandos, both as a solo album and as a participant in
the complete edition. On Finlandia, you will find the complete songs of
Rachmaninov performed by baritone Kalevi Olli. And finally, on Russian
Disc, you can find more modern fare of Shchedrin, Gavrilin and
Tariverdiev, sung by mezzo Zara Dolukhanova.

Other non-medium voiced singers who have recordings of Russian
repertoire include: soprano Carole Farley (ASV), tenor Nicolai Gedda
(EMI), soprano Galina Gorchakova (Philips), tenor Sergei Larin (Chandos),
contralto Ewa Podles (Forlane), soprano Nina Rautio (Conifer), Joan
Rodgers (Hyperion), Vassily Savenko, bass-baritone (Hyperion) and
Elisabeth Soderstrom (London). You should be able to put your hands
on these recordings easily, either by purchasing them or checking them
out at your school library.

Now - IMPORTANT - any scores you buy should be copyrighted POST
1917. There were some major changes in the way in which Russian was
written after the Revolution, and this is reflected in scores (some
letters of the alphabet were dropped and others were used differently). A
case in point is the Boosey and Hawkes complete Rachmaninov.

Good luck and if you need more info, please feel to contact me privately.

Mark Montgomery

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Eric wrote:

> I am looking for some Russian lit to add to a B. M. Senior Recital
> this coming spring. I have enough operatic literature, so I am not
> looking for anything of that type. It also needs to be appropriate
> for a baritone with tendencies to tenor. I have sung several
> songs by Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff, but in English
> (translations?) and can't find the Russian anywhere. I am
> looking for something to round out my recital rep that is just plain
> pretty, and it'd be nice if it were in Russian. Any
> recommendations?
> Thanks,
> Eric B.

snide76258@a...