Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Date:  Mon Nov 20, 2000  8:29 am
Subject:  [vocalist-temporary] OFF: Scots/English (was Teaching rolled Rs)

In message <001301c0527f$cf24e600$f1cffea9@x...>, Colin Reed <colin-
reed@l...> writes

>England is definitely a separate country from Scotland.
>What is also annoying is that the assumption is made that the only people
>who want full independence are the Scots and the Welsh. Many of us in
>England feel that our identity as a separate nation is lost when we are
>lumped together in the UK. This may not be of great importance to many of
>you, but I thought it would be a change to have a bit of domestic political
>thought from this side of the pond as a change from the farcical
>presidential recount in the states :-)
>
>Colin Reed, tenor
>Newark, UK (NO. I mean ENGLAND)

Dear Colin and List,

I totally agree! I'm also annoyed by the assumption that, because we
feel Scottish, English or Welsh as opposed to British, it means that we
all hate each other.

Incidentally, I can't think of an adjective meaning 'belonging to the
UK' - UKish looks as if it ought to be related to 'yuk' - says it all,
no?

Regards, Sheila

Sheila Graham
Mezzo-soprano, Edinburgh, Scotland
www.sheilagraham.demon.co.uk

'She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything' (Bellini)

emusic.com