Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Mon Nov 20, 2000  3:10 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary]Brazilian Domestic politics

>How many of you can point to Brazil on the map?

I can. That big bumpy bit that sticks out into the Atlantic
just below the Amazon. I didn't look it up I promise.

>How many of you know
>Brazilians don't speak Spanish?

Not me!!! Surprise!!! Now you mention it hmmmmm.

> How many of you know São Paulo is one of the
>biggest cities in the world?

I do. I knew an Aussie journalist who worked there
and I've seen pictures of your Mardi Gras, and very nice too:)

> How many of you know Buenos Aires is the
>capital of Argentina, and Brasília is the capital of Brazil?

I do, and that a lot of Nazi's were welcomed with open arms to both.
I also have the impression that the population of Brasilia
in the off season, is two cats and a few stray dogs.
Has that changed?

>How many of you
>know the Amazon forest is not at risk and is not as important to the
>maintainance of the ozone layer and breatheable air as it is broadcast?

I do. Most breathable oxygen comes from the ocean.

> How
>many of you know a fictitious tribe preserve, the Yanomami, was created
>across the Brazilian Amazon borderline in order to weaken our national
>integrity?

Not me but I've heard the name. Who created it?

>That usual difficulty to understand the difference between the UK and
>England is a side effect of English imperialism.

I'll go along with that. : ) ....and so will a lot of real Irishmen.

How many know that the overwhelming majority of Australians want
a Republic separated from the British crown and the only reason it was
defeated in a referendum that required a 75% vote, was that the Royalists
were instrumental in splitting the pro-Republic vote by having the
parliamentarians, rather than the people, appoint the President.

How poignant.

Scoundrels still!! Up until 1895, yes as late as that, one could have been
drawn and quartered for saying this. For supporting democracy the
Scottish Martyrs nearly were. The US Republic gave some of them a
temporary haven but they finished up in this penal colony as superior
convicts, unlike the Irish rebels of the time, who got the opposite.

Talk about the Butterfly Effect..... see how a simple tea party in
Boston results in the rest of the British Empire being lashed
mercilessly for fear of them wanting to do the same. There's Irish
blood in the soil just a mile from where I sit in Sydney that found
its inspiration in that simple act.
Reg.

emusic.com