Vocalist.org archive

From:  Kate Reid <radishes@r...>
Kate Reid <radishes@r...>
Date:  Sun Nov 19, 2000  7:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] for the young dramatic..

Hello,
I"m sixteen, and almost definitely a dramatic mezzo or
soprano (because I'm young I do not know when my range is
going to be completed, but everyone who hears me says I'm
going to be VERY heavy). I believe the most suitable rep
for young dramatic singers is the German art songs. Some
pieces that I have been doing, that definitely stand out
when performed by heavier voices, are Schubert's Gretchen
am Spinnrade, and many of the pieces from Schwanengesang
(including Ständchen, Aufenthalt, and Der Doppelgänger if
you have a nice low register). Schumann's Dichterliebe
also has some heavy moments that just sound ridiculous when
attempted by more lyric voices :) As you're probably well
aware, dramatic operatic literature is not appropriate for
young voices, but the art songs are fabulous training
ground. You might also look at some of Bizet's songs (like
"Ouvre ton coeur"). Also keep in mind that even dramatic
voices must be kept limber. Be sure to do Mozart, Gounod,
Handel, Bach, etc., to develop your coloratura ability.

Best of luck, and I completely understand your frustration
:)

---Kate

--- Molly McLinden <verdirules@h...> wrote:
--- Molly McLinden <verdirules@h...> wrote:
> I am a 20 year old soprano, and I am most DEFINITELY a
> dramatic.
> Unfortunately, that means there are no roles for me while
> I do my undergrad
> (the most suitable thing for me is what I am currently
> singing, Mother in
> "Hansel and Gretel").
> Is there any rep a YOUNG dramatic soprano can sing that
> can be her "own" to
> make her stand out from the lyrics she is surrounded
> with?
> I just don't sound the same attempting typical young
> soprano lit, like "ah
> jeux vivre", "V'adoro pupille", etc. Of course, I am not
> hinting that I sing
> Verdi or Wagner...I am just asking for rep (art songs and
> arias ) that would
> be more suitable for my voice,and that lyrics and
> coloraturas would not do.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Molly

> http://www.hotmail.com.
>
> Share information about yourself, create your own public
> profile at

6645 Re: for the young dramatic.. snide76258@a...   Mon  11/20/2000   2 KB

emusic.com