Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sun Nov 19, 2000  3:59 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Teaching rolled Rs

Doris wrote:

> what she was saying I was when she told me I was encarrrrrrrrrrrrregada.

It must have been 'carregada' ( loaded) , not 'encarregada' ( in charge ).

> But
> then I've heard a Bahian (Brazil) radio announcer do both the gargle and
the
> roll within the same double "rr" in the name of a district in Salvador,
> "Barra."

The Portuguese, as far as my ears are concerned :-), would do the trilled R
only. In Brazil, the trilled version would be heard only from very old and
well-educated people, and mostly teachers who had some training to fit a
standard that has long been abandoned. It's also more usual in São Paulo
than in other parts of the country. The problem is that some radio
announcers in other parts of the country want to sound more 'standard', and
that is as if from São Paulo or Rio, so they try to imitate an accent they
don't quite understand. That's similar to what that friend of mine who's Rio
said to me once: if you hear someone using a gutural R connecting 2 words,
as in 'comprar a ...', that one is not from Rio, but a 'wanna-be'.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com