Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Date:  Sat Nov 18, 2000  2:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Teaching rolled Rs

Caio,

When you talk about the 'English aspirated H... like in Loch Ness', you
really mean the SCOTTISH 'aspirated H'. English people find that sound
very difficult, and very few of them can say it. Loch Ness is not in
England, it is in Scotland; as far as I know, there are no lochs in
England, loch is a Scottish word with a similar meaning to the English
word 'lake'.

I do realise that this is difficult for foreigners to understand, but
England and Scotland are separate countries. England, Scotland, Wales
and Northern Ireland together make up the political entity known as the
United Kingdom, or UK for short. Frequently, the terms Britain, or Great
Britain (not because it was great, but to distinguish it from Brittany
in France), or British are used to mean the same thing, but strictly
speaking that is not accurate because it does not include Northern
Ireland.

Outside the UK, England is usually used to mean the whole of the United
Kingdom, and that really annoys us Scots! :-)

Rant over.

Having said all that, I basically agree with you about thinking that
there are 3 'R' sounds: I would call the French 'R' the uvular 'R'
bwcause it is made at the back of the mouth (and incidentally sounds
quite different to me from the 'CH' sound in loch), the English 'R' and
the Italian 'R'. Most Scots basically use the Italian 'R', but make it
shorter; some Scots use the English 'R'.

Regards, Sheila

Mezzo-soprano, Edinburgh, Scotland
www.sheila@s...
www.sheila@s...

'She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything' (Bellini)

In message <001b01c05164$78db6ec0$31c0bbc8@l...>, Caio Rossi
In message <001b01c05164$78db6ec0$31c0bbc8@l...>, Caio Rossi
<caioross@z...> writes
<caioross@z...> writes

>I can't distinguish more
>than 3 Rs: the French one ( similar to the English aspirated H, but with the
>back of the tongue pressing back, I guess like in LoCH Ness ) , the English
>one ( as in Right, or the American caR ) and the Spanish/Italian/ Portuguese
>flipped R (as in aRRiba- longer in Spanish, but basically the same
>articulation ). Is there any other possibility?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6649 Re: Teaching rolled Rs John Alexander Blyth   Mon  11/20/2000   3 KB

emusic.com