Vocalist.org archive

From:  Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
Date:  Thu Nov 16, 2000  5:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Travesty Opera Company

I have one of their videos -- of a concert they did in Munich (!?). It opens
with a rendition of "Ride of the Walkures," with the "ladies" dressed in
evening gowns, all black and/or white, greeting each other as if going to a
party. One of the "sisters" arrives in more "traditional" garb -- horned
helmet, steel breastplate, spear in hand, and a wolf's-head cape hung over her
shoulder. It's HYSTERICALLY funny! The onstage commentator is "Sylvia
Bills," complete with La Traviata costume.

They also do a great rendition of the La Boheme duet, with the oldest living
soprano (Madame Tonnocasserole -- 105 years old) "Where are you living now,
dear?" "In the past."

The tour de force is the mad scene from Lucia Lammermoor. As best as I can
tell, they do most scenes in the original keys.

I found this VHS video at a Tower Records about 8 years ago. I just found it
on Amazon (US), so it might also be available from other sources as well.

Cheers!

Lana

--
Explain it as we may, a martial strain will urge a man into the front rank of
battle sooner than an argument, and a fine anthem excite his devotion more

emusic.com