Vocalist.org archive

From:  snide76258@a...
snide76258@a...
Date:  Thu Nov 16, 2000  12:17 pm
Subject:  Re: Russian Art Songs

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, <vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, < >
> I have a precocious young singer who has expressed an interest in
learning a
> song in Russian. She is in high school, has a pretty good grasp
of basic
> technique and is most comfortable in the mezzo soprano range. Any
> suggestions as to songs and/or IPA sites regarding Russian?

The PST book on Russian phonetics should help. I have a VERY strong
recommendation for "At the Ball" by Tchaikovsky. I have it in Russian
in a Kalmus Tchaikovsky volume, but I think it is in the "Music for
Millions:Art Song" volume in both English and Russian.

We have several Russian pianists at UNT and one of them is helping a
mezzo student of mine with this song. It is stunningly beautiful, but
has a limited range. In Russia it is like "Du bist wie eine Blume"
i.e. a song everyone knows.

emusic.com