Vocalist.org archive

From:  "james" <stjames@l...>
"james" <stjames@l...>
Date:  Thu Nov 16, 2000  3:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Dramatic voice Was: Older students/

But I've got a question about that: what is exactly a dramatic voice? My
first singing teacher said I was a dramatic tenor, although I'm not sure
that holds... anyway, what is exactly a dramatic voice?

James here......

Few have a dramatic voice but many think they do. For me the real test would
be that a dramatic voice can sing long operas/roles, night after night with
a huge orchestra and be heard without straining. To me dramatic
does have something to do with sheer volume but mainly color and the ability
to cut through thick orchestrations without pushing. Many can sing loud; the
real test is not how loud but how long one can do this without hurting the
voice. The real dramatic voice is at home singing this way. Many can sing
Wagner to a piano reduction, the real test is with full orchestrations .

James

emusic.com