Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Hanna Graeffe" <hanna.graeffe@h...>
"Hanna Graeffe" <hanna.graeffe@h...>
Date:  Thu Nov 16, 2000  12:13 am
Subject:  Vs: [vocalist-temporary] Teaching rolled Rs

----- Alkuperäinen viesti -----
Lähettäjä: "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>

> Rolled R may be a problem for some native speakers of languages that
have
> it.

My soon-to-be-7-year-old son learned the rolled R in the summer. It
took a lot of work! We did tons of exercises. One of the best was to
repeat very quickly den-den-den-dn-dn-dn- and then it accidentally may
change into R. It can be easier to try to do R when you're laying on
your back. That way your mouth is more relaxed. Also pushing your
stomach (or your students) can give the extra effort needed for
producing the R.

One way to practice is to read aloud (or sing) and substitute all the
R's for D. That way, your tongue is somewhere near the place where it
should be.

My daughter on the other hand learned to say the rolled R this week,
and she's only 1,5 years old! She was playing with her cars and saying
den-den-den-dn-dn-dn-drrrrrrrrrr!

This is totally off-topic, but my children are SO adorable! :)

Hanna G from Finland
hanna.graeffe@h...
hanna.graeffe@h...
www.lumenvalo.fi ---> Christmas cd coming on Friday!