Vocalist.org archive

From:  ccaleffie@i...
ccaleffie@i...
Date:  Wed Nov 15, 2000  9:52 pm
Subject:  FW: [vocalist-temporary] Older students/

FOR JENNIFER:

I sent this message to the original poster earlier. Sharing with you now, for
those who are interested.

Chris

Dear Singer with a Mission,

I know you have name, and I don't think you gave it --- but it doesn't matter.

I want to caution you NOT to listen to anyone who tells you that 30 is the
deadline. It isn't. I have no idea where you are vocally, but I can tell you
that if you haven't done anything, anything at all, up to age 40, THEN, it
might be too late. Then, I mean "maybe" it's over, depending on what roles you
intend to sing.

It would help to know whether you have a big voice, smaller voice, soprano,
spinto, dramatic flairs, or mezzo, contralto. Dramatic voices don't blossom
until later. My own teacher, back in the 1980s, didn't start his career until
he was 35. There is no rule, repeat, NO RULE, that you have to start a career
by a certain age. That's a midwife's old tale. Bah Humbug!

Keep studying and get with a teacher who has had a career on stage, for this is
the way to find your own way to the stage I spent twelve years in Europe
already, but STILL have a career ahead of me because I have a dramatic voice.
I still study and work on perfecting technique.

And it NEVER ends. It is an ongoing process. You will wake up some mornings
wondering whether your voice is still there, and it will be. But don't believe
anyone who tells you "you should have done it by now..."

It is very, very hard to work 8 hours a day, and then go home and sing.
Virtually impossible. But what happens when you want to lose a few pounds to
look better? You make up your mind, set in all the mindsets you can muster,
and make yourself become very disciplined about losing weight. I started a
regular job last February.

So, I talk all day. Bah Humbug!! I made a commitment to sing at least one
hour a day, including vocalizing, and have stuck with it. I am doing some
auditions soon. My wife supports me, so it's good to have people behind you,
supporting you.

This is very difficult work, but I make it happen. Some days I come home, and
don't want to open my mouth again. But, I relax, sit down a bit, look at the
piano and feel it call to me, somehow. I go over, sit down, and start working.
An hour passes. I decide whether to do any more....15 more minutes. Now it's
time to stop for the day.

"Bed, bed, I couldn't go to bed" - so the song says, from MY FAIR LADY. My
wife just says to me, "are you tired" ??

Yes.

This is important stuff, if you are as serious as I think you are. I was that
serious, and still am. I sang in Austria and Germany for 12 years, and have
sung in productions here quite often. But I can't make a living at it in the
USA. I plan to be singing soon in another production somewhere. If only
Germany hadn't reunified, I might still be there now. But, then I think about
those poor souls in east Germany who were languishing under communism.

But if I hadn't returned, I might not ever had met my wife and gotten married.
There's a time and a place for everything. If you believe in God, ask Him.

Sincerely,

Chris