Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Wed Nov 15, 2000  1:35 pm
Subject:  BRAZILIAN MUSIC

HI, Listers

Those of you interested in knowing more about Brazilian music, on that
on-line radio station I recommended ( www.musicalmpb.com.br or its English
version www.musicalmpb.com/en ) you can find some Specials ( when you click
on LIsten to the radio ) which are a very nice way to listen to specific
singers from a menu with 6 pages. These are the ones I recommend:

Page 1:

Carlinhos Brown: not a great voice, in fact not a good voice, but great
percussion. Pop world music.

Marisa Monte: probably the most internationally-known Brazilian singer.
Studied opera singing in Italy but decided to have a pop career. Beautiful
voice, but has been getting TOO popular to my taste. To me, her best CD was
"Cor de Rosa e Carmim" ( or something like that! )

Cássia Eller: rock singer with a rather male voice. She's got punch, but I
don't like her repertoire much. Testosterone voice! ( she's the one who
recorded the duet with Edson Cordeiro I mentioned before )

Page 2:

Zélia Duncan: pop singer with beautiful voice. Some years ago got the prize
from the NY Times as one of the 3 best Latin American CDs of the year.
Undeserved, but a great voice.

Milton Nascimento: if you know anything about Brazilian music it must have
been through his music. Wonderful voice, he uses some well-calculated
falsettos here and there that are exceptionally beautiful. A must listen!

Page 3:

Luiz Melodia: great voice, cool music. Very much unpopular due to his jazzy
arrangements.

Page 4:

Maria Bethânia: Caetano Veloso's sister. A contralto with a velvet voice. A
reference in Brazilian music.

Toquinho: nice voice, but he's actually a reference guitar player.

Zizi Possi: to me, the best Brazilian singer alive. Classical singing
technique adapted to sophisticated pop music. To me, her present music is
the best we have. As she's a conductor, the arrangements on her CDs are
superb. Corny in the past ( money, money, money ), she decided to make a big
change in her career. She recorded what I consider to be the best Brazilian
music CDs ( Sobre todas as coisas, Aquarela Brasileira and Muito Prazer )
and probably the best in Italian ( Per Amore ).

Page 5:

Elis Regina: OUR BEST SINGER EVER!!!!! Bjork's declared inspiration.

Page 6:

Ed Motta: great voice. Black music with great arrangements. Got a great
review from Quincy Jones on his site.

Vănia Abreu: one of the most technically-trained singers we have. Beautiful,
light voice.

Hope those hints will be helpful.

Bye,

Caio Rossi