Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Wed Nov 15, 2000  2:34 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Male sopranos/Ney Mattogrosso

Elsa wrote:

> Thank you; I knew about Cordeiro's voice, though his general repertoire is
outside my field;
> the former..no; any further details, please ?

Although Edson Cordeiro is now doing disco, he had a more operatic
repertoire in the past. Try his 2 first CD ( both named 'Edson Cordeiro' )
and also his 3rd one ( "Terceiro Sinal" )- which is more Brazilian-music
oriented, but has Ave Maria and Laschia Ch'io Pianga (sp? ). His first Cd,
where he sings Mozart's 'The Queen of the Night' in a duet with a female
rock singer doing 'Satisfaction' with a very masculine voice ( her name is
Cássia Eller ) is very good, although his mixing of classical and pop music
( in the rest of the CD both styles are very clearly separated ) makes no
sense to me.

I've already given a general view of Matogrosso. Try his solo CDs and his
work with Secos & Molhados. Now there are many people interested in what
happened in Brazilian pop music in the 60's and 70's under the name of
tropicalia. Tropicalia was a musical movement based on the idea that
Brazilian culture was deemed to recycle intl music to create something
original, with a Brazilian color. Caetano Veloso and Tom Zé ( now a cult
musician in the US ) are considered Tropicalia's creators, but Secos &
Molhados were surely their most exotic product. The funniest is that they
were very popular, mostly among children, and that makes them even more
exotic.

There's also an American pop singer named Ké ( American? ), who sings with a
very female voice. Not many people know he exists ( probably only himself,
his mother and me ), so I think your research will be very original :-)

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com