Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Tue Nov 14, 2000  10:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Christmas Eve soprano solo suggestions . . .

>From: Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
>
>Greetings!
>I need at least one, preferably two, pieces to sing. I'd like something
>a little less well-known than "O Holy Night" and "Gesu Bambino," both of
>which are done to death.

Oooh, Lana! Glad to have you back! We in Janet Campbell's studio miss you.

Take a look at "Maria Wiegendlied" (Mary's Cradle Song), which in English
starts out with "Amid the roses Mary sits, and rocks her Jesus child..."
It's a very sweet song, familiar without being common. Sorry, my
slighty-illegal copy is at home, and I'm pretending to work at the moment,
so I can't get the composer.

Also, if you look in the Watkins Shaw edition of MESSIAH, you will find the
all-soprano version of "He shall feed his flock/Come until him." But don't
knock "Gesu Bambino" out of consideration yet; it's not excessively overdone
IMO.

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...

And it just occurred to me how appropriate these quotes are to the USA
Presidential election...

"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

"Quitters never win. Winners never quit. But those who never win and never
quit are just plain stupid." --anonymousse

6455 Re: Christmas Eve soprano solo suggestions . . . Laura Sharp   Tue  11/14/2000   3 KB

emusic.com