Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Tue Nov 14, 2000  7:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Christmas Eve soprano solo suggestions . . .

Karen Mercedes wrote:

> You might also consider the "Dies Natalis" by Gerald Finzi. Boosey &
> Hawkes publishes a piano/vocal reduction of this work (which was written
> for soprano solo and string orchestra), that would work with organ.
> It's probably too long to do in its entirety, but take a look at it - it
> may be possible to find an elegant excerpt.

Dies Natalis is very lovely, but you may wish to look closely at the
words to decide if you think it's suitable; my understanding of it was
that it wasn't referring to Christ's birth at all, but just to one's
_own_ appearance in the world.

Try "Come Sing and Dance" by Herbert Howells; this definitely has
Nativity words, and shows off a good technique at its most sensuous and
has a climactic top Ab, lots of melismas, a vocal line rather like
Strauss 4 last songs. Are you singing with organ? I don't know if it
works with organ, the piano part is quite difficult.

Linda

emusic.com