Vocalist.org archive

From:  "stumke.jan" <stumke.jan@w...>
"stumke.jan" <stumke.jan@w...>
Date:  Sun Nov 12, 2000  4:35 pm
Subject:  REP: Found Duets for Mezzo/Baritone French music (opera & mélodie)

HOHOHOHO, my dearrr frrriends!
I'm sorry I didn't write sooner, but I have been working like a reindeer for
the last 14 days (including a Christmas show at Eurodisney, yes indeed...)
Perhaps you remember that I was looking for Mezzo/Baritone duets in French
music a few weeks ago. I wrote a similar letter to a French mailing list and
I got several answers. As Vocalist member Robin Frye expressed her interest
in the outcome of my research (or better: the research I let other people do
in my place...), I'd like to share this little list of operatic duets (and
one mélodie) for Mezzo/Baritone in French with all of you. Consider it as
Jan's Christmas Gift To The World! Eternal thanks be to Alain Zürcher, Paul
Henri Ducrot, Marc Poulin and Sonia, without whose unconditional generosity
and self-sacrifice this glorious compilation would not have been possible!
Let me add however that you should take this list with a grain of salt FOR I
DID NOT VERIFY THE LIST !!! In fact, I asked my repertoire question on
behalf of a baritone friend of mine who's not connected to the Internet, so
I just gave him the list and let him check himself... If some of the
information turns out to be wrong I will immediately correct it. But now sit
back, relax and enjoy the sleigh ride:

Fauré: "Pleurs d'or" and other mélodies (In Marc's opinion, the baritone
part is rather high)

Berlioz - « Les Troyens » : De quels revers menaces-tu/Vaine terreur! (Anna,
Narbal)
Bizet - « Carmen » : Si tu m'aimes Carmen (very short)
Donizetti - « La Favorite » : duet Léonore, Alphonse (created in French !)
Massenet - « Don Quichotte » : Eh! mais...vous perdez la raison!...Oui, je
souffre votre tristesse...Je t'ai livré mon cour (Dulcinée, Don Quichotte)
Massenet - « Hérodiade » : Si Dieu l'avait voulu!...Si j'avais pu garder
auprès de moi cet ange! (Hérodiade, Phanuel)
Saint-Saëns - « Ascanio » : Rassure-toi! Tête folle!/Je me tiendrai pour
satisfaite; Et je sais le sort qui m'attend!...Que dis-tu, malheureuse
(Scozzone/Benvenuto Cellini)
Saint-Saëns - « Samson et Dalila » : Il faut pour assouvir ma haine
Thomas - « Mignon » : Légères hirondelles

It might be worth checking out the following operas :
Massenet - « Thérèse»
Lalo - « Le Roi d'Ys » ( ? ? ?)

Well, that's all folks! Put on your Christmas bells and always hold a nice
thought for Mrs. Santa Claus!
Jan Stümke, Paris

emusic.com