Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Sun Nov 12, 2000  4:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: the läärynx

martti wrote:

<< I like my sound but it's a bit treble and piercing when singing high. >>

martti,

in comparing your high range to the rest of your voice, try to notice
if the vowel in the high range sounds different from the way it would in the
rest of your voice. for example, the 'ah' in father might sound more like
the 'aa' as in cat.

if you notice this, the solution is vowel modulation. vowel
modulation is an old practice and is designed to correct the shrillness you
are describing. it is as simple as pretending you are singing a different
word (or accent).

there is a song by johnny rivers, 'secret agent man', that was used as
a theme song for a british tv show in the sixties (it was my favorite show as
a kid). the word 'agent' occurs on a high note. if i just blurt it out,
the vowel tends to spread. when i sing that word, i just sing it with an
'irish' pronunciation which narrows the vowel and actually makes it easier to
sing. the best part is that it doesn't sound anything but normal.

there is a great explaination of vowel modulation in richard miller's
book 'training tenor' voices. the beauty of using vowel modulation is that,
rather than making you conciously aware of trying to lower your larynx, it
has you making choices that just don't raise it (very passive in that way).

mike

emusic.com