Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sun Nov 12, 2000  1:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Male sopranos; help with origins. please ?

Elsa wrote:

>has any of them had any kind of surgery, hormonal defect (I know
> about some of these already) or anything else which would have caused them
to able to sing in
> the higher registers ? My friend, Peter Giles, is an authority on the
various types of
> countertenor voice, so I am well-informed in that field, too.

I can reach soprano-like notes with a soprano-like timbre in an elusive
register. It's surely a falsetto, but I feel it and I hear it as a different
kind of falsetto: I feel it both in the back of my head and out nof my mouth
at the same time. My 'normal falsetto' has a typical falsetto timbre and I
feel it more in the top of my head. So far, I haven't felt it in a womb, so
I think it's not a hormonal thing :-)

Background: when I was a kid I looked like an Italian version of the
Hansons' youngest brother ( You know, that little girl who's actually a
boy ). When we visited some relatives in the countryside who we hand't seen
for a long time, they sometimes came up with this, when talking to my
parents: "But didn't you have 3 boys and only one girl?!" The situation was
always embarassing to me, and as a sequel I have become a travesti ( This
sequel thing is obviously a joke, but not that embarassing question ).

Nowadays, I have a male look and don't get dolls and dresses for birthday
from my beloved aunts anymore( another joke... but I still get lipsticks
:-) ). I'm muscular ( a real stud... "I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy
for my ... "), and it's very easy for me to grow muscles ( without any
'chemical help', so I must have enough testosterone available ) but neither
me nor a brother of mine grow a long beard. According to my ENT's videtaped
laryngoscopy, my larynx is between the average size of that of a man and of
a woman and without much mucosa,w hat would explain how easily it is for me
to sing in a higher pitch and lighter timbre, while I .... up my voice when
I try to sing Metallica with that 'I'm-really-mad' voice.

Hope that helped you in a way,

Bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size