Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Date:  Sun Nov 12, 2000  12:11 pm
Subject:  Re: At what point do you like the sound of your voice

Doris,

thank you for the thoughtful response. Let me clarify what I was
trying to say in my original post.

>>While saying that a teacher can make all the difference, let me
>>hastily add that maybe you are critical of yourself in an
>>unproductive way. Is it the total vocal sound which is bothering
>>you, or is it discrete technicalities you could be addressing
>>specifically? Do you recognize, for example, when you produce a
>>given vowel sound inappropriately?

I think my case is more of being critical. I'm really happy with the
technical progress that I've been making over the last year, and I'm
increasing getting to the point where I can recognize my own mistakes
(correcting them is another matter however, but I'm working on it ;)).

I've talked to my teacher about it on several occassions, usually when
my voice sounds incredibly nasal or thin to me. He keeps assuring me
that I have a very pleasing sound, and I'm definitely making progress.
My guess is that the sound that I am hearing in my head is quite
different from what actually comes out of my mouth and that I pick out
what I don't like hearing in my voice when I listen to it from a
recording.

On the positive side, I was really happy with how I sounded at the end
of my lesson yesterday. Not only did it feel right, I was happy with
the sound in my ears as well. I guess I was wondering at what point I
can expect to experience this on a regular basis. I've had "good days"
before but they haven't become a regular experience yet.

I'm probably being woefully impatient here. Thanks again for the
e-mail!

Cheers,
Ingo

6391 Re: At what point do you like the sound of your v RALUCOB@a...   Sun  11/12/2000   3 KB