Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Sat Nov 11, 2000  7:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Rhyme nor Reason

> For me a rhyme of 'thorough' with 'burrow'
> or 'furrow' highlights the problem. I base my
> observations on
> CNN, Fox as well as Discovery and National
> Geographic.
> Australian English and I think "Standard" English
> would rhyme
> more with "burra" and 'furra".

I don't think there is any such thing as "standard"
English, since there are so many regional variations.

> My feeling is that in attempting
> to do justice to the spelling of the word, some
> users, news
> readers in particular, create verbal nightmares.
> This could carry
> across into singing also where we hear undue stress
> on words endings.

I think it depends also on how the composer has set
the ending. I hate it when they put it at the
beginning of a bar and expect you to hold it forever
(a recent experience with Malotte's Lord's Prayer
comes to mind - a - meeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnn. Took me
forever to figure out how to sustain that vowel!

> A rhyme with 'burrow' strikes me as an attempt to
> feel good about having accommodated the spelling of
> the
> 'ough' part of 'thorough', in which case I'd have to
> ask you
> how you pronounce 'rough'. : ) "Ruff", I hope?
> I'd also suggest that your particular rhyme with
> 'burrow'
> does in fact attempt to pronounce the "gh".

Yep, rough = ruff for me. But since I don't rhyme
rough with thorough, I would suggest that the way I
pronounce the ending of the word isn't an attempt to
pronounce the "gh" (or I would end it with a "f"
sound), but more of a variation in how I pronounce
vowels from you. I have an Australian friend, and we
have had many discussions on how differently we
pronounce words, and most of the differences are vowel
sounds.

> While we're here, the "ing" ending is another
> example. I feel we have all heard the two problems.
> One of
> undue emphasis and the other of a totally missing
> "G", but
> what about the other tendency of pronouncing it as
> "eene".
---snip---
> every day I hear news
> readers cummene
> and goeene as if it was the accepted form

ROFL! We spent quite a bit of time in my lyric diction
class trying to figure out how to pronounce ng. My
other favorite is a final -er or -or. "Our
Fatherrrrrrr...". I definitely prefer using a dialect
that drops the final "r" sound in singing (unless it's
pop music, sometimes) - "Our Fatha" is much nicer
sounding in singing, and easier technically!

> Sorry but hearing about how the Electoral College
> represents the
> "more worthy voters" was just too much.

Just want to clarify that I am Canadian :o). No
Electoral College here, although I have been enjoying
the opportunity to learn more about the political
system of my US neighbors the past few days.

Jennifer

6372 Re: Rhyme nor Reason Reg Boyle   Sun  11/12/2000   3 KB

emusic.com