Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
"Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
Date:  Fri Nov 10, 2000  9:06 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Body Mapping Book

Thanks for your replies. We are going to bring a teacher here in the Spring
and I feel better about recommending the book to my students in preparation
for the course.

One embarrassingly important revelation (because I'd never realized it in
many years of singing and body work) that came from reading the book was
that I could choose to release delicately at the sterno-clavicular joint
(where the clavicles attach). It really freed me up across the chest and
shoulders in a way I hadn't done before in years of "lengthening and
widening". When I thought of widening across the shoulders, I'd always
thought of shoulders and shoulder blades, not collar bones. Because I'm
hosting an Alexander Technique workshop for my students, I've been dutifully
doing "lie-downs" at night. Lie downs are a sort of self-observation time
done while lying on one's back with knees bent or straight out and arms bent
and out to the side with hands falling back across the chest area. When I
allowed the SC joint to release I felt a rather stunning change in how I was
breathing and realized I have a habit of grabbing muscularly at that spot in
an inward and sort of downward way as though I were bracing there to balance
the expansion that was going on below.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I'm glad the book is a good representation of
the work, I've already found it quite helpful, and if you can get past the
rather silly presentation, I would recommend it for any musician.

Best!

Laura Sharp
Sterno-Clavicularly Aware in Albany NY

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6351 Re: Body Mapping Book Karl Rasmussen   Sat  11/11/2000   2 KB

emusic.com