Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
gwyee@r...
Date:  Fri Nov 10, 2000  5:30 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Anesthetic intubation

Dear Kylie,

I agree with your anesthesiologist! And may I say, I'm impressed with his
sensitivity to your situation. The surgery which you describe is indeed not
a brief operation, and your airway/lungs will need to be protected against
the possibility of aspiration. The risk of damage to your vocal cords,
especially with a #7 ET tube, will be minimal; although it's not uncommon to
experience a brief (day or two) of hoarseness afterwards.

GWendel, MD, PhD, etc....
and tenor

At 03:12 PM 11/10/00 +1200, you wrote:

>Hi all :)
>
>If any of the medical fraternity or singing professionals here could give me
>some advice on intubation vs vocal mask and the effects on the voice, I would
>be most grateful.
>
>I have to have an operation in the next few days and the anesthetist has
advisedme that I must have intubation owing to the possible length of the
procedure
>(laparoscopy and possible diathermy).
>
>I am extremely worried about what this could mean for my voice if something
>goes wrong. All other operations I've had have been using a vocal mask.
>The anesthetist has said that he will use a child's size tube ( size 7 for
what it's worth) and be *really* careful, but I'm not sure of what this will
entail..

>If any of the teachers on the list could suggest exercises to get the cords
>(and abdominal muscles) back into condition afterwards that would be great.
>
>thanks,
>

>Kylie

emusic.com