Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Tue Nov 7, 2000  11:40 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach them

Dear co vocalisters,

I still owed you the exact title of the book on German
diction. I could not find it at first, but now it's
back and I can give you the title - and start reading
and practicing with it. (It's years ago since I last
did it, so it's about time!)

Title: Die Kunst des Sprechens,
Subtitle: Der kleine Hey.
Publisher: Schott, ISBN 3-9759-8702

It is in fact derived from a book in three volumes on
singing techniques (der große Hey), published about a
century ago. It still contains a few other chapters on
singing technique as well. From the chapter on
breathing:
'Der Atemstrom soll nicht lang, sondern langsam sein!'
('The breathflow should not be long, but slow').

The book tells you how to build vowels and consonants
and contains little nonsense rhymes, that are
extremely helpful when reading them out loud. However,
for non-German native speakers it might be better to
do this with a coach. Since the book is written in
German, it will probably be only of use to people,
who's German is quite good.

If you have difficulties ordering it, you might use
http://www.broekmans.com/
also good and cheap for ordering sheet music.
('if it's printed we either have it or can get it')

Two short and one longer examples from the rhymes:

Barbare saß nah am Abhang,
Sprach gar sangbar - zaghaft langsam;
Mannhaft kam alsbald am Waldrand
Abraham a Sancta Clara

Es streben der Seele Gebete
Den helfenden Engeln entgegen;
Entdeckend des Herzens Wehe,
Wenn Schmerzen es brennend verzehren!

Mein Meister freit ein reizend Weib.
Er meint, es ei ein Zeitvertreib!
Allein, was triebt dem kleinen Maid,
den Greis zu frein in Eiligkeit?
Meint sie, beim Greis sei's Dasein leicht,
Wenngleich sich keine Gleichheit zegt!
Ei, kleine Maid, leicht eilt die Zeit!
Dein eilig Frei'n bei eitlem Schein
Wird eine Pein, ein Leid einst sein! -