Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Nov 6, 2000  7:28 pm
Subject:  Re: Rising larynx in high voices WAS: SLS (to Martti)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 leskayc@a... wrote:
> he told me that in certain voice types (like the coloratura, which i
> supposedly am.....) the larynx rises as the pitch rises and that it is
> normal. I quit worrying about it.
> SO, maybe it is not all that huge a deal, especially with sopranos.

Dear Leslie,

I have a similar experience as a countertenor, which I guess like a male
version of a lyric coloratura soprano in terms of range. I've also been
told not to worry about it, as long as the rising larynx is a natural
result of otherwise good technique, as opposed to some weird, tense,
forcing phenomenon.

I tend to think it is more healthy to allow the body to do what it wants
to do. Artificially forcing the larynx to stay down is just as bad as
forcing it up. As long as I "sing like I speak", the transition in
position is gradual and free of tension.

Tako Oda

emusic.com