Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Mon Nov 6, 2000  6:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] High Larynx Position

mary beth wrote:

<< I understand your point, but friend, you just contradicted yourself.
Initially you said, that beginning singers should not concentrate on doing
any compensatory movement for the productionof their tone.........i.e., just
let the larynx float. However in this post you just indicated that you DO
use
a compensatory movement by jutting your jaw forward. >>

mary beth,

i seperate what people have done mindlessly all their lives from what
they consciously try to do. the individuals i'm speaking of, as lifelong
habit, tend to jut their lower jaws forward without having to think twice
about it. though this may not be healthy or efficient, because it is
habitual, it is naturally easier than something they have not learned yet
that may be elusive enough to make learning it difficult.

when people begin singing, unless they are tasteless idiots or, just
don't care that much, they start trying to 'fix' their sounds and usually get
themselves in more trouble than they would if they just left it alone.

'easy' is subjective and the judgement of anything being 'easy' is
relative to one's experience. to use randy's example, it is easier for the
'two packs a day' smoker to keep on smoking rather than giving it up. it is
not healthier.

this discussion originated from my advice to martti to not become more
worried about the larynx riding up than he need be and that it was more
likely all the other things he has been trying to do that is wearing him out
rather than just a high larynx.

a depressed larynx, in my experience, will wear someone out sooner than
one that rides up. and just as i'm not saying that drinking heavily is a
healthy option to smoking two packs of butts a day, i'm not saying that
raising the larynx is a good idea. i am saying that martti should let it
ride until he can get it neutral in a healthy, easy way as opposed to 'low at
all costs'.

mike

emusic.com