Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Mon Nov 6, 2000  4:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] High Larynx Position

In a message dated 11/06/2000 7:28:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
RALUCOB@a... writes:
RALUCOB@a... writes:

> there is even very little tension
> invloved but, i think that this is due to the larynx being lifted by a
> jutting forward of the jaw that 'repositions' the larynx rather than
having
> it lifted by muscle tension.
Mike,
I understand your point, but friend, you just contradicted yourself.
Initially you said, that beginning singers should not concentrate on doing
any compensatory movement for the productionof their tone.........i.e., just
let the larynx float. However in this post you just indicated that you DO use
a compensatory movement by jutting your jaw forward.
I'm sorry, but jutting your jaw forward seems just as manipulative as
lowering/raising/squeezing any other muscle.
Further, I do not concentrate on teaching my students to lower their
larynx conciously.( In the upper end I may suggest a hootier sound in order
to help their connection. But, this is just a tool not a memorized manner of
production) I only point out to them that it may be moving so that they are
aware of how their voice feels. It is then my job to arrange the vocal
exercises in such a way that eventually the larynx will stabilize on its own,
because everything else has been trained into equilibrium.............
2 Cents..........maybe 3.
Mary Beth Felker

emusic.com