Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Nov 6, 2000  3:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] High Larynx Position

In a message dated 11/6/00 9:28:18 AM Central Standard Time, RALUCOB@a...
writes:

<< i think that this is due to the larynx being lifted by a
jutting forward of the jaw that 'repositions' the larynx rather than having
it lifted by muscle tension. >>

There is muscle tension in what you describe, the suprahyoid muscles
(stylohyoid, digastric, mylohyoid, geniohyoid) all act (on the whole) to lift
the hyoid bone up and forward. The jutting of the jaw is involved in the
action of these groups. To keep the larynx in this elevated position the
suprahyoids must lock into a contracted position which I think we would all
agree involves hyperfunction.

Some people can get away with this (as can some people can smoke 2 packs of
cigarettes a day and not suffer from it), but it does promote hyperadduction
of the folds and is not healthy on the whole.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com