Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Nov 6, 2000  2:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] High Larynx Position

In a message dated 11/6/00 8:33:34 AM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<< It appears that the quality of sound that is sought in belting requires the
excessive medial vocal fold pressure mentioned by Randy together with high
levels of subglottal breath pressure and this is achieved in her technique
through a higher larynx position.

Perhaps the belting tonal ideal could be achieved without a high larynx
position but it is clear that substantial medial compression of the vocal
folds is necessary coupled with higher than normal subglottal breath
pressure to acheive this sound.

This summer, NATS is holding a second special workshop in NYC on Belting.
To my knowledge, Jo Estill is not listed as a clinician. Perhaps there is
another approach that will be displayed at this workshop.

Regards >>

Dear Lloyd,

This is why I teach SLS, it does not advocate a high laryngeal position, but
rather a neutral one. The belt voice is SLS (although slsers do not like the
word belt because it encourages a hyperfunctional production) is achieved
through the mix happening higher in the voice. This is the way Natalie Cole
sings and you can hear that although it comes out of chest, and is connected
to chest, it is not a yelled sort of production.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6257 Re: High Larynx Position RALUCOB@a...   Mon  11/6/2000   3 KB
6258 Re: High Larynx Position buzzcen@a...   Mon  11/6/2000   2 KB