Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Rocio Guitard" <rocioguitard@h...>
"Rocio Guitard" <rocioguitard@h...>
Date:  Sat Nov 4, 2000  1:35 am
Subject:  Re: SLS (to Martti)

Martti wrote:

I tried again and I was trying to do as you said. BUT. Even though I
noticed that I can produce the slow and consistent bubble and feel my
voice traveling up into the back of my head, my larynx will rise
whenever I ascend in scale. What to do with this? Am I totally
hopeless?

And in the humming exercise I feel the "mmm" buzzing on my lips, but
that doesn't change the fact that I'm still raising my larynx..

Maybe I should give up singing... Or at least I should stop
practising without a teacher.

---

Don't panic. To get the larynx to stay absolutely still takes time and
practice. So let's figure out how much your larynx is rising to start with.
Here are a few questions for you. First, put you hand on your adams apple
and swallow. You'll notice it goes up to virtually disappear beyond the jaw.
That's a really high larynx.

Now:
1. Do the bubble again and monitor your larynx with your thumb. Does it rise
as far as it does when you swallow? Does it feel like a squeeze in the
throat? Is your volume consistent or do you get louder on the top? If it's
just a "little" tight on the top notes don't worry too much, it'll settle
with time. You can add more "hooty" on the top notes to compensate. If
you're also getting louder just back off a little on top.

2. Try the same thing with the hum to see what happens.

3. How high (what note in reference to the middle C of a piano) are you able
to vocalise more or less comfortably with both the bubble and the hum?

Rocio

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6224 Re: SLS (to Martti) RALUCOB@a...   Sat  11/4/2000   3 KB
6232 Re: SLS (to Martti) Martti Savijoki   Sun  11/5/2000   2 KB
6231 Re: SLS (to Martti) Martti Savijoki   Sun  11/5/2000   3 KB
6236 Re: SLS (to Martti) RALUCOB@a...   Sun  11/5/2000   4 KB
6237 Re: SLS (to Martti) RALUCOB@a...   Sun  11/5/2000   2 KB
6238 Re: SLS (to Martti) buzzcen@a...   Sun  11/5/2000   2 KB
6250 Re: SLS (to Martti) RALUCOB@a...   Mon  11/6/2000   4 KB
6253 Re: SLS (to Martti) buzzcen@a...   Mon  11/6/2000   3 KB
6254 High Larynx Position Lloyd W. Hanson   Mon  11/6/2000   4 KB

emusic.com