Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 3, 2000  3:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Speech Level Singing (to Martti)

Hey Janis,
I'll jump in here and offer a few of my "tricks". When doing the MMM or
creaky door exercises, here's a few suggestions to make sure you start off in
the correct place.
First, say MM, as if you were to say No! also say mum,mum, mum a few
times and pay attention to where that sound feels. Now do the exercises in
the same place. ALso, and here's the key, it is imperative that you not have
any aspirates or H's before the M's when you are doing these exercises. Every
one needs to be "squeaky".....so perhaps, slow the scale pace down until you
are able to do each one equally balanced, or equally
squeaky................Such technical terms...LOL
Second, you may be associating the way the resonation shifts as you
ascend and descend with the feelings you are experiencing. That is normal.
Remember as the frequency of the tone changes, so will the place of
resonance...........also, don't try and focus the tone into a certain area,
just observe how it changes. All the area from the larynx on up, the
pharyngeal, oral and nasal cavities are used in resonation during some point
of vocalizing...............
Much luck, hope this adds some new tools to your bag!
Mary Beth Felker
Seth Riggs Assoc/SLS Instructor

emusic.com