Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 3, 2000  3:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Speech Level Singing (to Martti)

In a message dated 11/3/00 9:18:40 AM Central Standard Time, wadijedo@a...
writes:

<< Hi Rocio,
I just tried this and I am feeling the buzzing all the way from my throat up
to the nose. What am I doing wrong? I also have the book "Singing for the
Stars" and I would like to do this correctly.
Thanks
Janis >>

The lip trill is used to balance subglottal pressure by adding a secondary
compression above the vocal folds. If you're having problems with this you
are most likely doing one of two things wrong. The first is you're blowing
too much air which will cause the folds and lips to slam shut in an attempt
to resist the excessive air flow or the opposite in which the lips blow open
and a very breath tone is behind it.

The second is the lips are too tense which will cause excessive compression
which stop the bubbling from taking place. Try just getting the lips to
bubble very slowly first without voice (using your fingers to pick up some of
the weight of the lips) and then add the voice but make your main point of
the focus the lips. Don't worry about the voice it will be there if you keep
the lips moving correctly.

There are alternatives to the lip trill which accomplish the same thing,
either the tongue trill (rolled r) or the raspberry. Both of these
accomplish the same thing and also create a unique acoustic load (according
to Titze) which helps the singer discover head voice.

Randy Buescher
certified speech level singing teacher

emusic.com