Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 3, 2000  12:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Newbie Judge

In a message dated 11/2/00 5:30:24 PM, csdonnell@m... writes:

<< I think you may have misunderstood the rules of the competition. You won't
be "picking three singers for the finals". You will simply score the
singers as you see fit. All the judges' scores are averaged and then the
winners and honors are announced. Singers who score above 25 receive honors
and can go on to the regionals. The highest scoring singer in each category
is the winner. >>

This may be true in your region or local NATS competition, but there are
varied ways of scoring in other areas of the country. In addition, judges
may elect NOT to name any winner at all. In a very large metropolitan area
(not in the state where I now reside) where I was judging chair, each room
(division) scored each singer individually, then the top three scores went to
finals THAT day (local). In the finals AND in preliminaries, judging
panels could decide to name no winner. Those auditions were also not tied to
regionals; that is, teachers entered singers in regional auditions as they
saw fit, and not because of scores at the local level.

Lynda Lacy, Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School
Jackson, Mississippi
"Allow your voice to serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lynda313/myhomepage/profile.html">Lynda and
the Fine Arts</A>

emusic.com