Vocalist.org archive

From:  Paul Sinasohn <pauls@c...>
Paul Sinasohn <pauls@c...>
Date:  Thu Nov 2, 2000  4:00 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Newbie Judge

I just prepared a presentation on how to judge entries in a technical
communications compeition.

I would venture to say that the same rules apply, with a transposed
explanation for music competitions....

1) Does the communication effort work? Are you pulled into the
song/aria/performance, and do you feel anything during and/or after?

2) Is the content well-organized? Does the presentation flow, do the songs
work well together, does the whole set present the singer well?

3) Is the content correct, to the best of your ability to judge? Are the
notes right? Are vibrato and other effects used appropriately? Is the vocal
technique up to par?

4) Are the glitches/errors systematic, or simply small things that weren't
caught in production? Do the mistakes indicate a problem with the instrument
and its use, or did the performer just swallow some air down the wrong pipe
by accident while singing?

Paul Sinasohn
Technical Communicator by day,
Bass by night