Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Oct 31, 2000  8:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Rhymes in older texts, (WAS: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach them)

Very good point! I can't help feeling that a stroll through the fen country
would clear it all up, though, alas, I've never been there. Years and years
ago there was a droll poetess from rural Oxfordshire on British TV (whose
name I don't recall) who would have made short work of all this
controversy. Another is:
Come live with me and be my love
And we shall all the pleasures prove.
Though I suspect that we English speakers are less concerned with the
length of a vowel than speakers of other languages. john

At 12:08 AM 10/28/00 +0100, you wrote:
>John Alexander Blyth wrote:
>
><snip (anaesthetic optional) some interesting observations>
>

>> I don't know if Blake was a Cockney, but I'm fairly sure that oye and
>> symmetroy, or ei and symmetrei (or ee and symmetree) were perfectly decent
>> rhymes to him.
>
>What
John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico