Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 31, 2000  6:19 pm
Subject:  fake accents help

i was experimenting with a fake cockney accent while singing today and
noticed (not for the first time) that singing up around F above middle C was
easier. now, i've done this exercise before and have always found that it,
while loosening up holds in my mouth and jaw, made singing easier.
(imitating anthony newley has the same effect.)

an application for classical singing would be to use fake accents when
singing in foreign languages rather than trying to do it for 'real'. calm
down now, i am just suggesting it as an experiment.

i think in singing and acting, as we become more and more serious about
the profundity of our expression, we become more and more 'stuck'. think of
times you have played character roles where your acting was more like play
rather than psychotherapy. wouldn't it be nice to sing in a foreign
language and make it 'make believe' as opposed to trying to convince people
you are more at home in that language than you really are? just for a
change?

i'd much rather play army than to go to war.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6139 Re: fake accents help John Alexander Blyth   Tue  10/31/2000   3 KB
6141 Re: fake accents help Cynthia Donnell   Tue  10/31/2000   3 KB
6143 Re: fake accents help Mezzoid@a...   Tue  10/31/2000   2 KB
6144 Re: fake accents help Laura Sharp   Tue  10/31/2000   2 KB
6145 Re: fake accents help Cynthia Donnell   Tue  10/31/2000   3 KB
6146 Re: fake accents help Mezzoid@a...   Tue  10/31/2000   2 KB
6147 Re: fake accents help dorisopran@a...   Tue  10/31/2000   2 KB
6149 Re: fake accents help Caio Rossi   Tue  10/31/2000   3 KB
6151 Re: fake accents help Elizabeth Finkler   Tue  10/31/2000   3 KB

emusic.com